A letter from Councilmember Pierluigi Oliverio
I drive our roads, breathe our air, and like you, am concerned about the stranglehold of lifelong, career politicians in Washington DC that hold our nation hostage to the whims of political insiders. I pledge to return home from Congress in 10 years, not 30 years, and do what is best for residents, rather than special interest groups.
I will never miss a vote, promise to record meetings with lobbyists for public viewing, and will give back $10,000 of my tax payer funded salary to community causes such as cat and dog rescue groups and planting trees.
I am currently serving my 10th year on the San Jose City Council, having been elected 3 times. I am known as independent, fiscally pragmatic, and for personally responding to my constituents 24/7. I have cast thousands of votes on behalf of 1 million residents and balanced a 3 billion dollar budget every year.
I am the son of immigrant parents who are both retired teachers. I attended local K-12 public schools, De Anza College and San Jose State University, earning a BA and Teaching Credential. During my college years I worked 5 nights a week in a restaurant to pay my own way. I have over 20 years of private sector, high-tech work experience (semiconductor & software) in Cupertino, Fremont, Newark, Milpitas, Santa Clara and Sunnyvale.
- Do not pay Congress until it fortifies Social Security.
- Implement bipartisan recommendations on the National Debt.
- Lower income taxes and maintain the home mortgage deduction.
- Eliminate age discrimination in the workplace.
- Commit to care for our military veterans and the mentally ill.
- Achieve equal pay for women and protect their right to choose.
- Support marriage equality, food safety and clean drinking water.
As a true independent, I am not seeking endorsements from unions, lobbyists or billionaires, but I respectfully ask for your vote.